Powered by WebAds

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Living With Hobbits

If you don't know what a Hobbit is, please go read Lord of the Rings or rent the movie. It's a classic in every sense of the word.

I live with a Hobbit. He doesn't exactly fit the description in that he does wear shoes, and he's a bit too tall, even were he a Took or Brandybuck, but he is incurably curious and always hungry.

"Is there anything to eat?" is the most frequent, and useless, inquiry made around here. This is a Jewish home, stocked by a Jewish Mother. OF COURSE there's something to eat. Many different varieties of somethings. We could sit out the Six Day War without going to the store. If we defrosted the freezer, we'd probably outlast Hezbollah.

But nonetheless, we hear often and frequently, "Is there anything to eat?"

The Husband retorted somewhat testily to this most recent question, "Didn't you just eat?"

"Well, yeah, but that was breakfast...it's almost 11:00 o'clock," the Boy said hopefully.

"I never knew!" the Husband exclaimed, "We live with a Hobbit! Breakfast was really Second Breakfast because I made him a bowl of cereal when he first got up! And now it's Elevenses! My gosh, make the kid something to eat before he wastes away to nothing!"

So I made Elevenses amidst some degree of household hilarity. And sure enough, 90 minutes later there was a timid inquiry about "lunch" (not to be confused with "snack" which seems to correspond to Second Breakfast and which any normal human being would consider a multi-course meal).

Lunch is followed by Afternoon-Snack which is followed by the Pre-dinner Nosh. Dinner is more of a sit-down-with-the-family-and-use-cutlery affair, but it is invariably followed by dessert. Sometimes two. And now and then there is a pre-bedtime traipse through the refrigerator with some grumbling about "still being hungry" but since Ima subscribes to the old-fashioned idea that its not healthy to go to bed on a full stomach, this usually elicits "Get OUT of the refrigerator and NO you CAN'T have that now!"

I'm going to look closer and see if he's growing hair on his feet.....

Photo credit to http://www.lordoftherings.net/

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just typical teenage appetite syndrome. We stand in front of the fridge/pantry, looking for something to eat, at any given point in the day. It's just a reflex. I'm bored? I'll go eat! I'm tired? I'll eat! I don't feel well? I'll eat!

It'll wear off in a few years. Don't worry- your fridge and cabinet doors can stand the abuse. I speak from experience :)

Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 12:57:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Jill said...

Hmmmmm, sounds like stories Mom would share, about my brother eating them out of house and home; how she would bake bread,pies,cookies with larger pitchers of milk consumed voraciously by her first born and all his friends...so I see it is genetic << tee,hee,hee,hee >>!!

Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 6:56:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

jilly--Next time he complains, I will remind him that he ate Mom out of house and home and it's HIS genes that require us to restock the 'fridge all the time!

tnspr569--thanks for the tip! This is the only boy, so its a new phenomenon in our home....and by the way, I love your blog!

Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 7:48:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Dianne Murray said...

I love your description! lol. What a great way to think of it!

I remember my cousin and I doing this. Of course he packed away more than I ever could have, being 6'4 at 15 years of age. Much too tall for a Brandywine, to be sure. :)

Teenage metabolisms run faster than full grown adults - their gas guzzlers, mostly because they're not done growing yet.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 8:52:00 AM GMT+2  
Blogger Ellie's Mom said...

This period flies by in a flash...but seems forever when you're in it. Just had two teenagers leave the house (to go to college) in May and there was this sudden sucking like a wind of changes in the food supply in the house. Before, I always had to have "enough" and enough of whatever their whim needed. Now, we need...very little. And adjusting to the shopping was so odd for the first month or so. Sort of like when my youngest didn't need diapers anymore after having had one kid or another in diapers for 20 years! So odd to pass the diaper aisle...like I was missing something. In June, it was the strange feeling when I passed the Tastykakes. I felt like I was supposed to be buying them, yet....lol. Now a gallon of milk lasts forever but I have to restock the larder (excuse the expression) when one of them is coming home. It's like this magnetic attraction in the market....so odd. But I remember well the unending grazing.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 3:13:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

diane--I feel like I should buy stock in the local produce market....we must go through several bags of fruit a week, and granola bars and cookies don't last long either...and milk? Forget it! Milk and juice simply disappear--the other most-often-heard-comment: "Okay, who drank the last of the milk and didn't tell me?"

I keep warning him that he can't eat like this forever--soon as adolescence ends, all that food consumption will go right to the gut unless he cuts back!

Ellie's mom--I remember that! Going to the store and suddenly realizing that pedialite, formula, baby food jars and diapers were no longer part of the shopping cart! OTOH, this is my only and my husband's last, so I suspect that although it will be nice to see the milk last longer than 36 hours, I'll miss him terribly when he heads out on his own....

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 at 4:43:00 PM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with tnspr569 I often find myself spacing out and awaking from the daze to find myself infront of the pantry when my stomach is quite full. you needn't worry.....check out my new blog. i can use the support.

Monday, March 19, 2007 at 9:08:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • AAFAQ
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • The Jerusalem International Book Fair
  • Better Than Steimatsky's
  • Musings: Aliyah With Special Needs
  • OT: Un-aliyah-related Meme, just for fun...
  • Haveil Havelim Here!
  • Taking The Back Road
  • Arab Incitement?
  • The Music Lesson
  • Friendships
  • Cross-Pollinating Blogs
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger