Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Jerusalem International Book Fair

I talked the Husband into attending the Jerusalem International Book Fair today instead of trying to go to the gym. It wasn't hard -- he too is a book lover and as he's still recovering from bronchitis from the Jerusalem Crud we've all had, strolling around the Book Fair seemed preferable to doing something painfully aerobic at the gym.

So after walking the Boy to his ulpan and downing cafe hafook at Kalo's, we called the Best Cab Driver in Jerusalem and got a lift over to Binyanei Ha'Uma, the big convention center near the central bus station where the Fair is going on this week.

I learn something every time I ride with Yossi, the cab driver, who now insists that we speak Hebrew all the time. He knows the Husband's Hebrew is pretty darned fluent, but that mine is still pre-gan level: I might be able to limp through a conversation with a three year old, assuming you could find a three year old patient enough to put up with it. "You must speak Hebrew, Sarah," he tells me. "If you don't use what you learn in ulpan, you will never speak Hebrew and you will always use English." So every time we're in the cab, it's not just a ride, it's a tutorial. Yossi very patiently corrects the same mistakes I make over and over, and tells me not to worry, the language will come in time. Of course, Yossi speaks Hebrew, French, English and two dialects of Arabic fluently, so I always feel like an idiot trying to keep up with him.

The day was beautiful. Today was one of those warm, balmy spring days where all the blossoms have opened on the trees, the sunlight caresses you and the breeze is just a kiss of relief from the heat. So of course, we spent most of our time indoors. Go figure.

The Convention Center had stall after stall of book sellers throughout its many halls on the first floor. A surprising number of these stalls sold books in English. Titles were also available in French and Russian. There may have been books in other languages as well which I missed seeing, but that's because I was starting to get a bit overwhelmed at the sheer amount of books. I've been in public libraries with fewer choices.

Steimatsky's, the chain of English and other foreign language books in Israel, had a huge stall with great prices (25% off); there were books for bibliophiles; the latest edition of Encyclopedia Judaica which I lust for but cannot afford unless I want to forego having a kitchen in the new house; there were beautifully written and illustrated Haggadot at two different stalls, as well as books for every blessing for every holiday and kiddush in Jewish tradition.

There was even a stall containing books on the history and traditions of the Druze. Unfortunately for me, there was only one book in English, although several in Hebrew and many in Arabic. The rep, who spoke fluent English and Hebrew, asked me if I spoke Arabic. I got a grin and words of approval for my answer: "Not yet."

There was a stall for Carta with every conceivable map of Israel's regions as well as illustrated 'coffee-table' atlases and historical books. Not to be outdone, Michelin had a stall also, stuffed with maps and books for the travelers amongst us.

There were lectures being given in two separate locations but by the time we stumbled across them, we were overladen with too many books, the Husband complaing that we should have brought the agulah (shopping cart) to carry them home. We took Yossi's cab home (another Hebrew lesson for me although the two guys also just gabbed a bit), unloaded our loot and as soon as I finish this blog entry, I'm going to go curl up with a good book.

Go check it out. The Jerusalem International Book Fair is only here every other year. Take advantage of the stupendous choices and good prices. Hit the link in the title above to find out about the lectures, schedules and events.

Enjoy!

5 Comments:

Blogger Ellie's Mom said...

What happened to the book fair in Liberty Bell park? I mean the park near the hotel that used to be the Inbal. Geez, not only am I dating myself, I'm also exposing my word finding challenge...lol. It's just that there used to be this huge book fair yearly in May, I think. Did it change to every other year inside a building?

Friday, February 23, 2007 at 2:16:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Jill said...

First, I think it is charming that the cab driver is trying to push you along with your Hebrew; and I tend to think that you should have brought the agulah...you can never have too many books and would have saved yourselves the 'workout' from lugging the books around. I assume you picked up the Haggadot?! I hope you all are feeling better and that the weather is still spring like.

Friday, February 23, 2007 at 11:41:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

ellie's mom--ah, I think that's the Jerusalem Book Week, which is outdoors (almost everywhere) and full of children.....

jilly--we DID pick up the Haggadot and except for pots and pans, we're all set for Pesach....hmmm...maybe we'll get a new pot and use aluminum pans...

Saturday, February 24, 2007 at 8:31:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Ellie's Mom said...

LOL....I'm shlepping a set of pots from the good ole USA but plan to leave them there for when we move. Will bring the Haggadot too. The red & yellow ones, of course. You *are* getting Haggadot w/ Eng translation aren't you? Tradition!!!

Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 7:10:00 AM GMT+2  
Blogger aliyah06 said...

ellie's mom: I have to get Haggadot with English translation or else the Haggadah won't end until dawn.....very, very slow Hebrew.....everyone will fall asleep in their matzot!

Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 7:46:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • N:A-LI-YAH
  • Ilana-Davita
  • West Bank Mama
  • South Jerusalem
  • Daled Amos
  • Ki Yachol Nuchal!
  • What War Zone?
  • Alissa's Aliyah Adventure
  • Treppenwitz
  • The Traveller Within
  • Moving On Up
  • My Shrapnel
  • The Big Felafel
  • Jacob Richman's Home Page
  • How To Measure The Years
  • An Unsealed Room
  • Middle East Pundit
  • Meryl Yourish
  • Elder of Ziyon
  • Israel Insider
  • The Muqata
  • Zabaj
  • The Jerusalem Post
  • Cox and Forkum
  • Day By Day
  • Jewish World Review
  • MidEast Truth Cartoons
  • Dry Bones
  • Step By Step
  • Greetings From The French Hill
  • Jerusalem Is The Place To Be
  • Camera
  • Israelity
  • Cross Currents
  • Slightly Mad
  • Israellycool
  • Chayyeisarah
  • Josh's Photos
  • Tel Chai Nation
  • AAFAQ
  • Good Neighbors Blog
  • The Sudanese Thinker
  • We Blog For Darfur
  • Rantings of a Sandmonkey
  • The Big Pharaoh
  • Iraq The Model
  • Previous Posts
  • Better Than Steimatsky's
  • Musings: Aliyah With Special Needs
  • OT: Un-aliyah-related Meme, just for fun...
  • Haveil Havelim Here!
  • Taking The Back Road
  • Arab Incitement?
  • The Music Lesson
  • Friendships
  • Cross-Pollinating Blogs
  • Through The Time Warp To 1955
  • My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Jerusalem, Israel

    Powered by Blogger